May 21, 2009
You can help prevent unacceptable behaviour by making sure you don’t put your child into situations which are likely to trigger it.
Children are naturally curious. If you put a small child into a room full of china ornaments, for example, they won’t be able to resist touching them.
Ways of preventing unacceptable or inappropriate behaviour include:
- child-proofing play spaces and removing breakable things
- providing several kinds of toys to avoid conflicts
- varying the tempo of routines to suit each child’s temperament,
- using calming rituals such as stories, songs or rocking,
- re-focusing your child’s attention onto interesting , safe and acceptable activities
We need to guide our children’s behaviour so they learn what behaviour is appropriate in the different situations they find themselves in—and what behaviour is not appropriate.
Thanks to Plunket for today’s tip!
Do you have a tip you’d like to share? Please let us know below.